Sunday, May 6, 2018

MY 7 DAYS IN KALPA, HIMACHAL (CXX)

28th March- 4th April, 2018

JOURNEY TILL KALPA




Kalpa- What is it? 

In Hindu and Buddhist cosmology, kalpa refers to the period of time between the creation and dissolution meaning the recreation of Universe. 
And I must say this place is as beautiful as its meaning.

I wanted to go to Kalpa since the first solo trip I took to Narkanada. And this was probably the time. 

I took evening bus from ISBT Delhi till Rampur, Himachal. I knew that for the next 14 hours my life was confined to that small rectangle, with a window on my right and one unknown person on my left. Watching outside the window I tried to decipher lives of people outside and also to touch the life of that unknown. So that Mr 'Unknown' turned out to be Amit, Amit Thakur from Shimla. Our conversations started normally with our professions and jobs. Some cliche conversations which always help to break the ice. And those cliche conversations turned out to be interesting where we talked about travelling, college days, old songs, poetry and different treks. We did not exchange any numbers neither the social media profiles. He got down at Shimla and I bade him goodbye.



The conductor came to check the tickets and asked me twice to ensure that I was really travelling to Rampur. The bus stopped at the dinner point and I purchased a token for Masala Dosa. I was at the counter and the conductor came to me, " Arre, I was looking for you. Where were you? Oh! You purchased the coupon. I was inviting you to have dinner. They cook special dinner for us. Anyways, enjoy your meal." I was little shocked but I thanked him. 

In Shimla half the bus became empty and further in Narkanda another half. For a while I was alone in the bus. The bus stopped at a breakfast joint. Conductor was very inquisitive and protective too. He asked me where and why I was travelling alone. Where- I replied to Kalpa. And his eyes became wide opened. "Too far", he said. Why- I myself did not know the answer of it. So to sound genuine and authentic I told him that I had been travelling alone and had previously came to Narkanda and on another trip to Sarahan.  He was amazed. I ordered paranthas for me when the cook who was listening to our conversation started smiling at me. I smiled back and he said, "Wapis aate huye zarur milna (Do meet me again on your return journey)"  

After 14 hours I got down at Rampur where the conductor told me to catch bus till Reckong Peo. I sat in the bus reading my book. It was approximately 4-5 hours journey. A guy was sitting beside me. For once or twice my eyes got shut, owe it to the long travelling hours and I almost fell on him. I was feeling sorry but he smiled. He was Aman from Rampur doing mobile business in area around Rampur. Listening to my story he was shocked and happy at the same time. He said, "It is good to meet people (girl/female) like you. I wish you a happy journey. I hope our paths meet again." He got down somewhere in between and I again started looking out of the window. 



Best part about travelling alone is that I meet random people where we do not discuss our jobs or the problems attached to it. We discuss books and authors, poets and poetry, stars and weather, cafes, cinema and theatre. 

The bus took another halt and I got down stretching my legs. A guy with wide smile, specs and a geek look (I easily get attracted to geeks) suddenly asked, "Are you travelling solo?" "Yes", I replied. "Wow! Where are you heading to?" and our conversation started where I got to know that he was travelling to Chitkul alone and that he writes poetry. Poetry, that one thing which connects me to people easily. We exchanged numbers with a promise to meet again in Delhi. That guy was Anshul and now my very good friend. 

I reached Reckong Peo and I felt ecstatic after seeing the view. White mountains, fresh air and Indian flag dancing on the sound of winds.  From Reckong Peo I had to catch another bus till  Kalpa. I spent some time at bus stop and boarded the bus which would take me to my final destination Kalpa.







I reached Kalpa in half an hour from Reckong Peo, where Aman, my host from Apple Pie was waiting for me. All this while I was in continuous  touch with Aman. We had never met before but he had already became my confidante and I was eagerly looking forward to meet him. 

View from Apple Pie
My stay in Kalpa, more people I met in the journey, places around Kalpa and an adventurous trek are following in next blog. 

Videos and more pictures on Facebook page

1 comment:

Featured Post

ARAMBOL, GOA- A PERFECT SOLITUDE(XLIX)

18th December, 2015- 26th December, 2015 A beach of dreamers, where freedom touches my feet,  where love flourishes and love message...